Mar 4, 2009

The day you were born

Ok, so Jake is two weeks old and I am finally getting a chance to sit down and write about his entrance into this world. Boy was it a tough one. I didn't think I would make it but I did and I couldn't be happier. I wanted to share my labor story. I'm not going to leave much out so if I get to graphic sorry in advance..

On Monday Feb 16th I had my 39th week doctors appointment. By this time I was at the end of my rope. I was beyond uncomfortable and I just wanted my Dr. to say lets induce but she didn't. She did my exam and said that I was right on track and that everything looked great. So I went home and decided to lay down for a lap with Giz. It was around noon. At 12:30 pm I felt a GUSH and I knew that my water had broke. I ran to the bathroom and it just kept gushing. Must of the people that I've talked to had their water broke at the hospital but mine broke just like in the movies. I was so excited I could barely contain myself. I really didn't want to go into the hospital too early because I knew that I would just be waiting but when I called the nurse she said that I needed to be in within two hours. I called Brent and asked him to come home and I took a shower. The contractions hadn't started yet.

Once Brent got home he packed the car. I was very calm and not really nervous at all. We got to the hospital and they checked me and I was only 3 cm dilated. I knew then that it was going to be a LONG LONG day and night. They started me on pitocin to get the labor moving a long. The one thing that sucked in early labor was my water was still leaking. I had so much fluid that it leaked all the way up until I pushed him out.

When my contractions started they weren't too bad but gradually got worse thorough the day. By midnight they checked me and I was still only 3 cm and they decided to stop the pitocin, give me some pain meds and a sleeping pill and have me sleep and start again in the morning. WHAT??? I was pissed because after all of that they were just going to stop. So I took the sleeping pill and they stopped the pitocin and my Mom and Mary went home. About a half hour after that the real contractions started. I was trying to sleep but the pain was so bad that it made it impossible. I was extremely emotional because they had doped me up on sleeping pills and I was delirious and in pain. After a few hours of hell I decided to get the epidural. After having the epidural I don't really remember it working. Except for not feeling my legs I felt pretty much everything.

By 6 am they checked me again and I was at a 6. I called my Mom and Mary and told them to come back in. An hour later I was at a 10. The nurse wanted to let me sit for a while to let the baby move down because he was sideways but his heart rate was decreasing and they needed to get him out. Because he was on his side I felt intense pain in my lower right side and my back. He must have been on my nerve. When it was time to push I was in such constant pain that I didn't know when a contraction was coming to know when to push so the nurses had to feel my tummy to tell me when to push. Because my lower area was numb I didn't feel the pressure all I could feel was intense pain in my back and lower right side. I started to throw up and at one point wanted to give up but ended up pushing for almost two hours when he finally came out with a little help from the vacuum.

I was so out of it I didn't really even know what was going on. I remember him not crying much and then they took him off to check him. I started to throw up and was so cold that I couldn't stop shaking. They started me on pitocin again to deliver the placenta which didn't want to come out. I ended up having a 3rd degree 4 layer tear which is NOT FUN..

I lost so much blood that my first trip to the bathroom ended in me fainting.. Fun. There is a lot more to this story but I will spare the nasty details. After all is said and done we ended up with a BEAUTIFUL baby boy. He was 7 pounds 11 ounces 21 inches long. Here are some pictures.


Mary said...

My water broke at home with my first too. But it was at about 8:00pm and when I got to the hospital I wasn't really dilated so they gave me the sleeping medicine and decided to start the pitocon at 9:00am the next morning. I had a 3rd degree tear as, not fun at all! That's why I'm nervous as hell this time around. I'm 38 and a half weeks now and I'm totally ready to be done!
Your baby is beautiful!!

Michelle Leigh said...

Congrats Kim! He's such a cutie! Sorry to hear labor was so rough. I can't imagine doing it that way! It is all worth it though and someday you'll want to do it all over again!

Fishsticks and Fireflies said...

Oh my! What a story - and what a wonderful ending. Jake is absolutely beautiful. Congratulations on his safe arrival and best wishes for a speedy recovery - tearing is NO FUN!

Robyn said...

Yowzers that was quite the labor. But your son is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Kim, he is adorable!

Kristi said...

You are a real trooper! I would never want to go through that, scares me to death thinking about it.
I want to come over soon so answer your stinkin phone when I call next time ;)
Love ya

Jessica said...

Congratulations, Kim! He is adorable! Thanks for sharing your birth story too, I always find that interesting.

Anonymous said...

hey kim cute baby sorry about getting tigether i left you a message last night i have to work thur and fri schedule changed do to knee.see you guys next week your place or mine lj

Anonymous said...

he was a cute newborn! sorry you ended up with so many interventions.